Products & Services
Builders Sand and Cement Company is proud to serve to needs of the Ready-Mixed concrete market across the entire Quad City area. We maintain 2 ready-mix plants and operate a fleet of 25 trucks. Our concrete mixes are made with the highest quality materials available and are tested to ensure their strength and durability.
We offer a wide range of concrete mixes, varying in strength, workability, set time, flowability, durability, air content, and slump. We also have experience working with grout, flowable fill, refractory concrete, self-consolidating concrete, pervious concrete, lightweight concrete and mass concrete.
We have a number of additives and admixtures that can help make your project a success:
- Mid-Range Water Reducer Provides an additional 2” of slump without compromising the strength of the concrete.
- Superplasticizer Provides an additional 3-5” of slump for a limited amount of time without compromising the strength of the concrete. This is useful when concrete needs to flow.
- Retarder Slows the set of the concrete, giving you additional working time. A helpful product in the summer months.
- Calcium Chloride Speeds up the set of the concrete. This is a very important product for placing concrete in the cold-weather months.
- Non-Chloridic Accelerator Similar to Calcium Chloride, although this product should be used when pouring with rebar or steel wire, as it won’t corrode the steel.
- Synthetic Fibermesh A replacement for wire mesh, Synthetic Fibers will hold hairline concrete cracks together, minimizing potential future problems from plastic shrinkage cracking.
- Steel Fibers Used as a replacement for rebar, this product dramatically increases the strength and durability of the concrete. Be careful though, if improperly placed, these fibers can hurt!
- Integral Color We can use integral color pigments to dye the concrete to the color of your choice!
- Pea Gravel For the “exposed aggregate” look, use this gravel. Make sure you have someone on your team who knows how to expose the aggregate without damaging the concrete.
- 3/8″ Chips Use this stone when you need to fit concrete into really tight spaces. Great for heavy rebar concentration or ultra-thin pours.
We have an experienced and skilled Quality Control team who can help you with on site assistance. Our QC Techs can dose admixtures on site, slump trucks appropriately, and are a considerable wealth of concrete-related knowledge on any construction site.
In addition, we have Quality Control Techs who are certified in both Iowa and Illinois to work on state DOT jobs. They are experienced with all the tests, inspections, and paperwork involved with a DOT job. We are qualified to develop and run Maturity curve testing on the concrete for early-open paving pours, and develop state QMC concrete mixes if necessary.
Our Quality Control department regularly performs tests on all our mixes to ensure strength, air content, and slump are consistent with what we would expect from that mix. This helps us ensure the finest quality concrete in the area.
Sand Yard Operations
Contractors and General Public can NO LONGER pick up sand and gravel at the Builders Plant, but we can deliver the following materials to the Quad-City area.
- Concrete Sand – We supply State Certified concrete sand.
- Fill Sand
- Mason Sand – Fine, washed sand used by mason contractors, or as a base for brick or concrete pavers, or in children’s play areas.
- Crushed Stone Products – Road Rock 3/4” to dust – 3/4” washed rock also available.
- 3/8” Limestone Chips
- Decorative River Gravel – Unwashed – Rounded Stones in natural earth tone colors, 3/8” Pea Gravel – 3/8” – 3” Screen Gravel Mixture (all sizes mixed together).
- River Run Gravel – Mixture of Sand and River Gravel.
We also operate two dump trucks for delivery of these materials to the Quad-City area. For more information, or if you would like to schedule a delivery, please contact Connie at (563) 322-1757.
Contractors and General Public can no longer pick up sand and gravel at the Builders Plant.
We operate a warehouse with building materials at our 3636 West River Drive location in Davenport, Iowa. We sell products from different suppliers and deliver the following product groups to contractors and the general public in the Quad-City area:
- Bagged Cement Mixes and Bagged Sand
- Concrete Repair Products
- Mason Cement
- Portland Cement — Standard Grey and White
- Molding and Industrial Plaster
- Sand Blasting Sand – White Silica / Black Coal Slag / Manufactured Utility Sand
- Reinforcing Rod – Cut to Size if necessary
- Expansion Joint – Available in various sizes
- Calcium Chloride and Rock Salt
We offer a variety of pre-cast concrete blocks, that can be delivered or picked up from our office at 3636 W River Drive in Davenport. Please call ahead to ensure availability.
Interlocking “Lego” blocks- Full 5′ x 2.5′ x 2.5′ 5000lbs
Interlocking “Lego” blocks- Half 2.5′ x 2.5′ x 2.5′ 2500lbs
Full Size “Lego” Caps 5′ x 2.5′ x 1′ 1600lbs
Half Size “Lego” Caps 2.5′ x 2.5′ x 1′ 800lbs
Barrier Rails 2.5′ x 10′
Cubes 3′ x 3′ x 3′
Long Blocks 1.5′ x 1.5′ x 10′